How to Deal with a Broken Valuable Item
July 18, 2019
Accidents happen, and unfortunately, that sometimes results in the breaking of a valuable personal item. Maybe you’ve had a major catastrophe happen in your home, such as a fire or flood caused by severe weather or burst pipes, or maybe something just knocked into your valuable item or someone dropped it, resulting in cracks or breakage. If this happened to you, don’t panic, and don’t make any of the mistakes below! If you’re looking for item repair tips in Walla Walla County, WA, read on to learn everything you need to know:
- Don’t throw the item away: If you break a valuable item, it can quickly become a time of emotional distress. You may panic about the broken item and think it is beyond repair. It may even be tempting to throw it away immediately in an effort to minimize the emotional distress you experience when seeing the broken item still in your home. However, throwing the item away right away is a mistake! There might be hope for your item if you follow a few item repair tips in Walla Walla County, WA.
- Don’t give up hope: Even if you don’t throw the object away, you may feel hopeless about your ability to repair it. Maybe it’s a glass vase that has completely shattered, or it’s an antique that appears to be beyond repair. However, before researching and investigating all your options, don’t give up hope, because there may be a solution you’re not yet aware of.
- Don’t try to fix it yourself: When many people first discover a valuable has broken, they may rush to try to fix it themselves, often creating even more damage than they originally found. They may feel like the more quickly they fix it, the more likely it will seem like nothing ever happened. However, there’s no five-second rule when it comes to repairing valuables. Take your time to research the best way to handle your broken valuable before rushing into a slipshod repair job.
- Don’t use superglue: Whatever you do, don’t use superglue! When many people find a broken valuable, their first instinct is to try to superglue it back together. However, superglue will never return the valuable to its flawless original state, and is a terrible item repair tip in Walla Walla, WA. In fact, the superglue might damage the item further and make it beyond repair.
- Research your options: Now that you know what not to do, what do you do? The answer largely depends on what item was broken. Is there an original manufacturer of the item that you can contact for advice? If not, what resources are in your area that you can call? You’ll want to think about the material that the item is made of, as well as the period in which it was made. Take time to analyze the situation and research your options before panicking and trying to fix the item in a rush.
- Find the right repair shop: Whatever your valuable, there is a solution. If your item is glass, you can bring it to a glass blower for repair. If it is an antique, there are many antique repair shops that may be able to fix it or provide information on where you can take it for repair. The best item repair tip in Walla Walla County, WA is to take time to find the right repair shop for your item.
Supreme Cleaning Services provides full-service cleaning to residences and homes throughout Walla Walla County, WA. Give us a call today to schedule a consultation!
Categorised in: Item Repair Tips